Being a homeowner comes with a lot of responsibility. Following through with routine home maintenance will help extend your home’s life and keep its value high. Keep this list handy and refer to it throughout the year to keep your home in tip top shape.
Country Air is here to help with any HVAC needs you may have throughout the year! We can help with any services on this list in bold. Joining our affordable Comfort Club Maintenance Plan will cover your yearly HVAC maintenance needs. Call us at 281-356-8564 or click here to sign-up today .
Does anyone sit around and think about their home’s heating system in Houston? No, not really. Only on the days Texas decides to turn into an artic tundra just to heat back up in the uppers 80’s the next. If you’re a Houstonian, you know what we are talking about!
The days that we do need our heating systems sure do come in handy though and because we are not used to extreme colds it isn’t fun if the heater randomly decides to quit.
At Country Air, our top priority is keeping our customers comfortable year-round, so here is a list we put together of furnace warning signs that may indicate you need service or replacement before the next winter storm.
5 Warning Signs Your Furnace Might Need Replacing
1. Your furnace is old. Some things that are old are good, like wine or grandparents. Old furnaces, however, are not. Electric furnaces typically last about 20 to 30 years while gas furnaces last about 15 to 20 years. Once their expiration date comes and goes, their parts become unreliable due to corrosion and ventilation can become restricted from dirt build up.
Cracks can also develop in the heat exchanger or flue pipes, which could cause carbon monoxide to leak into your home’s air. Pro tip: If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home. Make sure you get one right away. Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that you cannot see or smell!
2. Your heating bill is much higher than normal. This could be an indication that your furnace is having to work overtime to keep up with your temperature desires. An aging furnace will not run as efficiently as newer system which will always result in higher energy bills, and that is no fun around Christmas time!
3. Odd noises. No kids, that’s not Santa on the roof, just the furnace on the fritz! Many times, odd noises coming from your furnace can be fixed with a repair from the experts but sometimes it could mean something more. If you hear anything strange call an HVAC pro right away.
4. Furnace flames should be blue. Gas furnaces are most common so if you have one give your flame a peek and if you see it yellow or orange in color that is a sign that something is up.
5. The air in your home isn’t right. It either feels too dry or too humid. Both are problems and could mean that you have the wrong sized furnace for your home. Moisture build-up in your system can lead to other problems like mold and mildew growth which affects the air quality in your home and your family’s health. An HVAC expert can tell you if your furnace is the right size for your home.
Pro Tip: Get your furnace inspected and maintained yearly, this will catch problems before they get worse and allow your system to run efficiently which saves you money on energy bills and extends the time in which you must replace your unit.
If you need help with your furnace, give the experts at Country Air a call at 281-356-8564. We wish you all a happy, warm, and safe Christmas!
The cooler months are right around the corner which for most Texans is a sigh of relief. Although our heaters aren’t running all the time in the winter here, we do get some days where it is needed (cough, cough Snowmageddon 2021?) That brings us to the topic of the hour: what is a fall heater check for and why is it beneficial to you?
A fall heater check keeps the warranty on your system valid.
Imagine this: a part unexpectedly breaks on your HVAC system, but you’re still covered by warranty, ahh a sigh of relief. But - when you call the warranty department you realize that your warranty is no longer valid – oops. You’ve been DIYing the maintenance on your system instead of leaving it to the professionals and now you have to fork the bill.
You can avoid this headache by simply calling a professional like Country Air to come do the maintenance for you. Most companies offer a maintenance plan that saves you money and offers other perks - like same day service.
Most HVAC manufacturers require proof of annual maintenance so they know the equipment was properly cared for as some of the parts that make an HVAC system work can be costly to replace.
A fall heater check increases the life expectancy of your system.
Your HVAC system is a machine. Just like your car is a machine. You wouldn’t drive your car for 60,000 miles without changing its oil or doing any kind of maintenance on it and expect it to last a long time. The same is true of your HVAC system. It needs routine maintenance to ensure all the parts are working harmoniously together for a long life.
A fall heater check ensures your HVAC system is running at optimal efficiency and lowers the cost of your energy bills.
A well-oiled HVAC system means your spending less month per month on energy. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, you could see a savings up to 30% on your energy bill.
A fall heater check helps discover problems before they get worse.
It’s the worst when the crazy Texas weather goes from 80 degrees one day to 30 degrees the next. You turn the heater on, but nothing happens – there goes the heat!
Routine maintenance checks allow the professionals to find problems in your system before they bust. This means your system is less likely to go down when you need it most and you’ll save money on costly repairs.
My mom always used to say, “Prior proper planning prevents poor performance.” And well, she is right again with this one. Give us a call at 281-356-8564 to schedule your fall maintenance inspection. We look forward to serving you!